The Korean Government has imposed following entry restrictions, due to COVID-19.
These restrictions are temporary measures until further notice.
All travelers and visa applicants are thus advised to read the following carefully.
1. Transit without a visa(TWOV)
Travelers can transit through Korea without a visa if the following conditions are all met.
① transit within 24 hours
② stay within the transit area only (no immigration clearance, no luggage claim)
* Please note that travelers holding passport issued from Egypt, Sudan, Syria and Yemen are not eligible for TWOV.
2. Re-entry permit required for registered foreigners
From Monday 1/June/2020, all registered foreigners in Korea
(for example, foreign registration card holders) must obtain re-entry permit from the Korean Immigration, when travelling outside Korea temporarily and intending to return to Korea.
* A-1, A-2, A-3 and F-4 visa holders are exempted.
If a registered foreigner travels without a permit, his/her foreign registration will be cancelled, thus he/she will not be able to re-enter into Korea.
3. COVID-19 PCR test result is required for any travelers to Korea
From 8.Jan.2021(FRI), All international travellers entering into Korea(including Korean nationals from 24.FEB.2021) must carry COVID-19 negative test result(PCR test) as a part of entry requirement. COVID-19 PCR Negative test result must be issued within 72 hours prior to departure.
PCR test certificate must include Name, Date of birth, Test name, Test result, Swab collected date, Test result date, Certificate issue date, Name of the test organisation.
Those who do not carry a valid test result will be denied of boarding the flight, as well as entry into Korea.
4. Short-term stay visa Suspended
All short-term(under 90 days) stay visas issued before 5th/April/2020 have been temporarily suspended. Every holder of such visa MUST re-apply for a new visa if the travel intended is essential and to be carried on as planned. However, all non-essential travels are STRONGLY discouraged and a visa may not be granted.
* All C-3 visa categories (all entry types - single, double and multiple) are affected (now invalid) but, C-4(short-term employment) visa and long-term stay visas are not affected (still valid).
The consular officer at the Consulate shall have enough time to thoroughly review all the applications with additional interviews, which may take minimum 14days.
5. Visa free entry Suspended
Visa free entry for some countries has been temporarily suspended.
The list of the countries affected is attached (Att 1.) above.
Australia is affected by this thus, Australian passport holders now must apply for a visa before travelling to Korea.
Australian Diplomatic/Official Passport holders and ABTC card holders are exempted, and still can travel without a visa.
6. Medical Certificate, Health Condition Report, Consent to Quarantine Required for all visa applications
* Not required COVID-19 PCR test result for visa application until further notice. (from 7/Jan/2021)
All visa applicants must also additionally SUBMIT
① a COVID-19 PCR clearance medical certificate, issued in 48hrs from a medical practitioner, ②consent to quarantine(Attached pdf) when applying for a visa.
7. 14-day quarantine/self-isolation upon arrival in place
From 1 April 2020, all passengers arriving from overseas will be required to undertake either
- a mandatory 14-day quarantine at designated facilities for short term(stay under 90 days) visitors like tourists
* the cost of quarantine(roughly AUD 150 per day) will be billed to the passengers
- a mandatory 14-day self-isolation at their place (for Korean citizens, residents(long-term visa holders) and family members of Korean citizens/residents (spouse, children, parents). * official document that states the family relationship required.
Please note that those who are under 14-day self-isolation must download "Self-Quarantine Safety Protection App" for daily monitoring and reporting. Failure to comply with self-isolation requirements may result in legal consequences.
① A-1(Diplomatic), A-2(Official) visa holders and ② Isolation Exemption Certificate holders are exempted from 14-day quarantine/self-isolation.
Instead, such person will have a COVID-19 test carried out immediately at the airport and will have to wait for the result at the temporary facility at the airport. (This may take 1-2 days).
Then, self-monitoring and reporting through using "Self-Diagnosis App" will still be carried out for 14 days.
"Self-Diagnosis App" can be downloaded and pre-installed on your mobile phone using the link below.
8. Temperature check will be carried out for all passengers, before boarding a flight to Korea. A passenger with a higher temperature than 37.5 ˚C may be denied of boarding.
9. All passengers arriving from overseas will go through enhanced arrival procedures in their port of arrival.
* valid address of stay, valid phone number which works in Korea, and "Self-Diagnosis App" installed on your smart phone are MANDATORY.
10. All visa free entry programs, for Chinese and Japanese passport holders, will temporarily be suspended. A prior visa will always have to be obtained before travelling to Korea.
11. Visa free entry into Jeju island will temporarily be suspended.