[ STEP-BY-STEP APPLICATION GUIDE ]
Did you read the step-by-step application guide? It is a mandatory read. If you have not, please read the guide(click) first.
ONLY if you are attending an immediate family member's funeral and have all the requirements but were unable to find a slot due to all the slots being booked, please call 416-920-3809 ext. 221 and leave a voicemail to request make an emergency visa appointment. We have an extremely limited number of emergency slots per week. You must still have ALL your visa application requirements in order for us to accept and process your visa application.
Please also read the additional guidelines for emergency visa.
[ Eligibility criteria for application ] * This is NEW as of April 19, 2021 *
You are eligible to apply for this visa if you are:
1. spouse or child (does not have to be a minor) of a Korean national
2. a parent or parent-in-law of a Korean national ONLY IF they are applying for a short term visa to assist the Korean national (or the Korean national's spouse) with pregnancy, birth, or childcare for children 7 years or younger * new as of April 21, 2021
3. spouse or minor child (up to age 18) of a foreign national residing in Korea with a long-term visa
(except D-3, E-8, E-9, E-10, G-1, H-1 holders as those visa holders are not eligible to invite dependent family)
[ Visa Type ]
Entry: single-entry visa valid for 3 months (you must enter Korea within 3 months of visa issuance)
Periods of stay for this visa: up to 90 days from the date of entry
This visa holder is not eligible to work or study in Korea and must leave Korea within 90 days. This visa type cannot be converted to another visa type and the stay cannot be extended.
For more information on Alien Registration or Visa extension, please visit Hi Korea website at www.hikorea.go.kr.
[ Documents ] Please prepare to submit in the order listed.
1. Visa Application Form (print & fill out the attached form)
2. Valid passport (must have a validity of 6 months or more left)
3. Photocopy of passport (colour or black/white)
4. Passport photo taken within the last 6 months
5. Family's identity documents
5-1. [if the family is a Korean national] Korean passport photocopy and Canadian visa photocopy (if they do not have a Canandian visa, please let us know at the time of application; if mailing in, please attach a note)
5-2. [if the family is a foreign national staying in Korea with a long-term visa in Korea] Foreign passport photocopy and Korean visa photocopy (front & back of their Overseas Korean Registration Card OR Alien Registration Card)
6. Document to prove family relationship to a Korean national:
6-1 [if you're the spouse or child of a Korean national but never had or no longer have Korean nationality yourself]
Applicant's or the Korean national's "가족관계증명서(상세)" OR "혼인관계증명서(상세)" (must be issued within the last 3 months and may be a photocopy but cannot be printed photos)
Important: Only those who are registered in Korea's family registry are officially recognized as family members of Korean nationals. If your birth or marriage were only registered in Canada but not in Korea, please first register the marriage or birth in Korea in order to be eligible for this visa.
주의: 대한민국 국민의 가족의 범위는 가족관계 서류에 나오는 범위입니다. 한국인의 배우자이신데 한국에는 혼인신고를 누락하셨고 캐나다에만 혼인신고가 되어있으시다면 반드시 한국에도 혼인신고를 하셔야 비자 신청 가능합니다.
- 2008년 이전에 국적상실 혹은 국적이탈을 하신 경우 가족관계증명서, 기본증명서 등의 서류 발급이 안될 수 있으니 제적등본(발급일 상관없음)으로 신청 하시기 바랍니다. 상세 발급안내는 가족관계과의 안내를 참고 바랍니다.
6-2 [if you're a parent-in-law of a Korean national] Certified copy of birth registration (or Certified copy of statement of live birth) of your child and your child's Korean marriage certificate "혼인관계증명서(상세)"issued within the last 3 months
For information about the document issued by Ontario, including ordering an expedited copy, please visit Ontario government's website (click).
7. Document to prove family relationship to a foreigner residing in Korea with a long-term visa:
7-1 [If they're your spouse] Certified copy of marriage registration (must have been issued in the last 3 months). Name of document may vary depending on the year your marriage was registered but it must contain all details of the registration (i.e. Marriage Certificate is not sufficient).
* If the relationship can only be proven by Korean documents (i.e. you were born in Korea or married in Korea and your family relationship is only registered in Korea), please submit "혼인관계증명서(상세)"issued within the last 3 months.
7-2 [If the applicant is a minor child] Certified copy of birth registration (or Certified copy of statement of live birth)
The name of document varies depending on the year of birth but it must include all details of the registration including the applicant's date of birth, the parent(s)' date(s) of birth, etc.
※ We may request additional documents if it is deemed necessary for visa evaluation.
8. Additional document requirements if you are of Korean-descent (see the step-by-step guide)
[ Additional requirements during COVID-19 ]
* As our requirements are updated frequently to reflect the latest government guidelines, you must click and read the above article and follow the detailed instructions.
9. Covid-19 Negative PCR test results requirement temporarily waived as of Jan 8, 2021
10. Consent to Quarantine (please print and fill out the form)
[ Application fee ]
$52 CAD DEBIT OR CASH
* Please pay with DEBIT CARD with TAP but also be prepared to pay with CASH (exact change only) if your debit card doesn't work. Our system is not equipped to accept credit cards.
[ Criteria for express visa processing ]
SHORT TERM EMERGENCY VISA (TO ATTEND IMMEDIATE FAMILY'S FUNERAL): APPROX. 1-2 BUSINESS DAYS (as long as you submit all the requirements, we will try our best for you to make your flight and for you to make it to at least a part of the funeral)
Proof to submit for express visa processing: Death certificate (in Korean "사망진단서/시체검안서") and documents showing details for the funeral
SHORT TERM EMERGENCY VISA (TO VISIT A CRITICALLY ILL IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER: APPROX. 5-7 BUSINESS DAYS (as long as you submit all the requiremetns, we wil try our best to expedite your application)
Proof to submit for express visa processing: Medical certificate (in Korean or English) stating the patient is critically ill ("위중" "임종 임박" "XX암 말기" 등)
* If your family member is ill but not critically ill, you are not eligible for express processing as per Korean government guidelines
OTHER NON-EMERGENCY SHORT TERM ESSENTIAL VISAS (90 days or less): 12-15 BUSINESS DAYS (regular processing time)
* You must click and read the above article and follow the detailed instructions if you want to mail your application.