2. Submission of negative COVID-19 (PCR) test result issued within 72 hours of departure
Effective from 08 January 2021(KST), all foreign nationals arriving in the ROK must have on hand a negative COVID-19 PCR test result issued within 72 hours of their departure. List of MOH-approved COVID-19 Test Providers (link)
- The measure applies to holders of A-1 (Diplomatic), A-2 (Official), A-3 (Treaties) visas and Alien Registration Card (ARC) holders.
- The measure will also apply to South Korean nationals arriving from UK and South Africa.
- A proof of a negative COVID-19 test (PCR) must be presented to the airline personnel when the foreign passenger boards an aircraft. Boarding will not be permitted for foreign passengers without a negative COVID-19 test result issued within 72 hours. The test result should be submitted to the quarantine authorities upon their arrival in the ROK.
- The test result issued from the testing organization agency at the country of departure must be in English (or Korean). If the result cannot be issued in English or Korean, supplemental translated certificates certifying the translation can be submitted along with the PCR test result. The test result certificate should include information such as name of traveller (as per passport), passport number (or date of birth), name of test taken, test result, date of application (test date), date of issuance of test result, seal(stamp or sign) of the issuing authority...etc
- If the passenger received the test result by email, he/she is required to print it and present to the airline personnel and quarantine authorities in hard copy.
- Passengers transiting in Korea without entry (i.e no immigration clearance) are not required to provide a negative COVID-19 PCR test result.
- Passengers who travel from Country A and transit in Country B before arriving in Korea are required to provide a negative COVID-19 PCR test result issued in:
- Country A if they have transited in Country B without entry (i.e no immigration clearance at Country B) OR
- Country B if they have transited in Country B with entry (i.e immigration clearance at Country B)
- Infants and children under the age of 6 (as of entry date) are exempted from submitting a test result certificate.
- Airline crew is exempted from submitted a test result certificate (*may be subjected to change in the future)
※ It was previously announced that Alien Registration Card (ARC) holders who left Korea from 01 June 2020 onwards and who wish to re-enter Korea are required to have a re-entry permit and written medical diagnosis issued within 48 hours of departure. With effect from 08 January 2021 (KST), the requirement of negative COVID-19 PCR test result issued within 72 hours of departure will supersede the requirement of written medical diagnosis. This will apply to ARC holders who received the Medical Examination Exemption Certificate from the local immigration office in Korea.