[Important] Guidance on the reinforced policy for the Important Business Purpose Quarantine Exemption Certificate
Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency announced that the guidelines for managing quarantine exemptions for important business purposes have further been reinforced, so please be aware of the following requirements.
1. For quarantine exemption under the important business purpose of visit category, both domestic and foreign nationals are required to provide a negative PCR test result issued within 72 hours of the departure date. They are required to present the negative result to the airline before boarding the plane, and submit the result to the quarantine authorities upon their arrival in the ROK along with the quarantine exemption certificate.
o This new requirement applies to South Korean nationals who enter the ROK with a quarantine exemption certificate for important business issued on and after February 1, 2021.
* All foreigners entering Korea must submit negative PCR confirmations from and ongoing since January 8, 2021.
o If the PCR test result with a negative confirmation is not submitted, the quarantine exemption will be immediately terminated and the individuals will be quarantined for 14 days at a quarantine facility at his/her own expense.
2. If the quarantine exemption period is eight days or longer, an additional PCR test must be taken (at his/her own expense) within 5-7 days after entering the ROK. The negative test result confirmation must be then submitted to the relevant authorities who approved quarantine exemption within 8 days of entry.
o This new rule applies to those whose quarantine exemption is approved by the relevant ROK authorities on or after February 1, 2021.
o If an additional PCR test result is not submitted, quarantine exemption will be immediately terminated, and the individuals will be quarantined for 14 days at a quarantine facility(at his/her own expense) or at home.
* For example, if a person enters South Korea with a quarantine exemption certificate for important business and his/her quarantine exemption period is from February 15 to March 1, he/she should take a PCR test between February 20 and February 22, and the test result should be submitted to the relevant ROK authorities by February 23.
o Those whose quarantine exemption period is 7 days or less are exempt from the obligation of receiving additional PCR tests.
* However, if the person stays in South Korea exceeding the quarantine exemption period, he/she should undergo self-quarantine or facility quarantine until the 15th day of arrival.
- For example, if a person enters South Korea on February 15 with a quarantine exemption certificate for important business and his/her quarantine exemption period is from February 15 to February 22, he/she is not required to take an additional PCR test in South Korea, but he/she must self-quarantine or quarantine at a facility from February 23 to March 1.