Starting July 1st, 2021 those who have completed COVID-19 vaccination overseas are eligible to apply for a quarantine exemption certificate to visit their immediate family living in Korea.
1. The applicant should visit their spouse or their immediate family (e.g. grandparents, parents, sons, and daughters) or the immediate family of their spouse (e.g. parents in law).
- Visiting siblings, uncles and aunts are not eligible.
2. The applicant should complete the both COVID-19 vaccinations in the same country(only USA) if the dose is 2 and 2 weeks since the last dose should have passed before applying for a quarantine exemption certificate.
- Only vaccines that are approved by WHO such as Moderna, Phizer, Yansen, etc. are acceptable.
- If the applicant gets the first dose in one country and second dose in another country, it is not acceptable.
- You are eligible to apply for a quarantine exemption certificate on the 15th day once all the required doses have been administered. (e.g. If your second dose is August 5st, you may apply for a quarantine exemption certificate starting from August 20th.) (You can submit your application after you are fully-vaccinated.)
- Children younger than 6 years old (6 years and older are not included on the day of submission) are eligible to apply for a quarantine exemption certificate though they are not vaccinated if they are applying for it with their parent(s). And parent(s) must get the QEC for their children's QEC.
- Children older than 6 years old are eligible to apply for a quarantine exemption certificate as long as they are fully vaccinated. *At the time of writing this notice the Consulate is aware that children 6-12 are not eligible to get a vaccine.*
3. The applicant must be flying to Korea from one of the regions that the Korean Consulate in San Francisco covers such as Northern California, Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming.
- If your flight has transit in the U.S., your first flight should depart from one of the regions mentioned above.
- Also, if you are residents of the regions mentioned above, but take the flight to Korea from the regions that the Consulate in Los Angeles and Houston cover, you can apply for a quarantine exemption certificate to the Korean Consulate in San Francisco. You will be required to submit a proof of residence in the Northern California, CO, UT, or WY.
4. You can apply for a quarantine exemption certificate for an immediate family visit at the Korean Consulate in San Francisco though you are entering Korea from a third country if you meet the following requirements and are able to submit the additional documents: 1) You are fully vaccinated in the jurisdiction of the Korean Consulate in San Francisco such as Northern California, Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming 2) You are a resident of the aforementioned regions and considered fully vaccinatedIf you fall under one of the two categories, you must submit two additional documents along with the mandatory documents to submit: 1) Certificate of entry&exit (출입국사실증명서) of the immediate family member living in Korea for the last 3 years + proof that you were fully vaccinated in our jurisdiction 2) Certificate of entry&exit (출입국사실증명서) of the immediate family member living in Korea for the last 3 years + proof of residency (e.g. driver’s license or utility bill of the most recent month, etc.)The validity of the quarantine exemption certificate is 1 month. You must enter Korea within 1 month of its issuance date.Though you get a quarantine exemption certificate as fully vaccinated, if you enter Korea from the countries below where the new variants have spread, your quarantine exemption certificate will not be valid and you must go through 14 days quarantine.
- Countries for October 2021 : Namibia, South Africa, Malawi, Mozambique, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Brazil, Suriname, Angola, Uzbekistan, Indonesia, Zambia, Djibouti, Chile, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Trinidad and Tobago, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines
- Countries for November 2021 : Namibia, South Africa, Madagascar, Mozambique, Myanmar, Brazil, Suriname, Angola, Uzbekistan, Djibouti, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Trinidad and Tobago, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines
[Required documents] : 7 + 1(if applicable)
1. Copy of valid passport of the applicant
2. Quarantine Exemption Application (attached)
- Please check “Fully Vaccinated Overseas” on the top left.
- Please check “agree” in the middle and do not forget to put your name and signature.
- The "status of stay" is for VISA type that you have. If you don't have a Korean visa and just visit your family within 90 days, please write down "B-2" which means VISA Waiver program. From Sep. 1st 2021, you must get ETA from the Korean Government prior to your departure from the U.S. to Korea.
* (PC) http://www.k-eta.go.kr / (mobile) m.k-eta.go.kr
3. Agreement to the Terms and Conditions (attached)
- Please check “agree” on the bottom and do not forget to put your name and signature.
4. Pledge of Authenticity (attached)
- Please check “agree” on the bottom and do not forget to put your name and signature.
5. Copy of the Vaccination Card of the applicant
- Official doc needed. 1 doc is enough.
6. Government-issued document to prove family relationship with the immediate family member that the applicant is visiting
- e.g. Korean family relationship certificate (가족관계증명서), Korean family registry document (제적등본), U.S. birth certificate, U.S. marriage certificate, etc. Korean documents must be issued within 90 days of your quarantine exemption application date.
- If your family relationship certificate(가족관계증명서) does not exist due to the fact that your Korean nationality loss report was completed before 2008, you must submit your family census registry(제적등본) along with your direct family's family relationship certificate(가족관계증명서).
- If the immediate family member in Korea that the applicant visits is a foreigner, then the applicant must submit a copy of their immediate family’s Korean residence card (거소증) front and back page or Korean alien registration card (외국인등록증) front and back page. If your immediate family is visiting Korea short-term (less than 90 days) or staying illegally, you CANNOT get a quarantine exemption certificate. - Remarriage : If you want to visit the new spouse (step parent) of your birth parent, you are qualified to apply for quarantine exemption as long as you were adopted to the step parent and have the government-issued document such as family relationship certificate(가족관계증명서) where you can prove the relationship between you and your step parent. Also, the same rule applies when you want to visit a son/daughter of your new spouse.
- Proof of name change (if applicable) : If your name on the family relationship document and your name on the passport are different, you must submit an official name change proof document such as petition for name change issued by USCIS, a district court, Department of Homeland Security, etc.
7. Flight itinerary (we need your name, flight information, and dates on it.)
- The only acceptable itinerary are those originating in Northern California, Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming. If you do not satisfy these conditions, please apply through the consulate assigned to your region.
8. If you live in the regions that the Korean Consulate in San Francisco covers such as Northern CA, CO, UT, and WY and take a flight to Korea from the regions that the Korean Consulate in Los Angeles and Houston cover, you should submit a proof of residency additionally with the required documents mentioned above.
[How to submit the quarantine exemption application documents]
1. Either use Consular Services 24(영사민원24) website or send the application by email (Do NOT use both methods.)
① For the guidelines on how to use Consular Services 24(영사민원24) website, please refer to the attached file 2.
Consular Services 24(영사민원24) website : https://consul.mofa.go.kr/en/main.do
** Applying for quarantine exemption on the website is faster than sending your application by email.**
② Send the pdf file to : email@example.com
- Make one pdf file with all the required documents.
- Zip files or compressed files are NOT accepted.
- The title of email : Vaccine Quarantine Exemption_[First name], [Middle name] [Last name]_[Departure Date]
(e.g. Vaccine Quarantine Exemption_John, Hoover Smith_July 10)
- Please send one email per person (one person). Do not send more than one request in one email.
If more than one person, please send separate emails with specified details above.
- If you do not follow the guidelines to send the email, your request will be denied.
- Please note that we do not respond to any inquiry or question to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. ★When to submit (San Francisco local time) (It will continue as follows)
- Please follow the Date Guideline. We will reject all the application not following it.
※ Any quarantine exemption applications that we receive after 3pm on business days will be considered received the next day. If we receive an application after 3pm on Thursday, that means you submit your application out of deadline, thus, you must submit additional documents such as a certificate of entry & exit of(출입국사실증명서) a family member living in Korea, doctor's note, etc.
- If you do not follow the right time frame to submit your documents, your request will be denied. However, if you are applying for a quarantine exemption certificate due to urgency of your trip such as seriously ill condition of an immediate family member, you can submit your application disregarding the time frame, but you must submit proof such as doctor's note(의사소견서) or certificate of entry & exit (출입국사실증명서) for the last 3 years of your family member in Korea. Please note that your flight should depart at least 2 BUSINESS Days (not holiday and weekends) after the date you submit the quarantine exemption application. Our office needs at least 2 business days to process urgent quarantine exemption certificate for immediate family visit.
※ The additional documents above are to prove that your direct family member are physically located in Korea. These documents are valid as long as they are issued within 7 days of your quarantine exemption application.
- If your application is rejected and your reapplication date is not following the right time, then you also need to submit additional documents for your QEC reviewing.
[After you get your quarantine exemption certificate]
1. You have to print out 4 copies (we send 1 doc, you print it 4) and bring them with you when you enter Korea. If you do not bring a printed copy, your quarantine exemption certificate might not be valid.
- Your quarantine exemption certificate will not specify your date of departure and flight/confirmation number, expected date of arrival in Korea, quarantine exemption period, expected date of departure from Korea, place of event. You only need to enter Korea within 1 month of its issuance date.
2. Your quarantine exemption certificate is valid for 1 month from its issuance date. Your certificate does not have the information of your flight. Thus, you must enter Korea within 1 month from its issuance date.
3. You can use your quarantine exemption certificate only once. Once you use it, it is not valid anymore.
4. You are not allowed to modify any content on the quarantine exemption certificate. If there is any error, please contact the Korean Consulate at email@example.com or 415-921-2251.
5. You must get your quarantine exemption certificate before your entry to Korea. You cannot apply for a quarantine exemption certificate after you enter Korea or while you are in Korea.
6. You must bring a negative PCR COVID-19 Test Result issued within 72 hours of your departure from the U.S. to Korea. For further guidelines about a PCR test, please click here.
7. We will email you your quarantine exemption certificate within 24 hours of your departure at the latest. (we may send it earlier but, if you do not get your quarantine exemption certificate within 24 hours of your departure, please call at 415-921-2251.
8. Starting from September 1st, 2021, travelers from countries that are required a K-ETA(including U.S. passport holders) must hold a K-ETA by applying on the K-ETA website (or mobile app) at least 24 hours before their flight. Only K-ETA approved travelers will be able to board a flight bound to the Republic of Korea. Click here for further information.