The Korean National Police Agency issues "Criminal Background Checks" for foreign nationals who have previously lived in the Republic of Korea and have requested it through the following procedure:
※ The Criminal Background Check which is provided through the consulate does not include your "lapsed records" and can not be provided for employment purpose of private companies.
Processing Time: 2 Weeks
Submission(Pick-up) Time: 9am ~ 4:30pm (Mon~Fri, Except Holidays)
Submission : Only in person.
- Application for Criminal Background Check << Click to Download
- A recent passport size colour photo
- A valid passport
- A passport you used in Korea (if not same as the valid passport, if you don't have it please ignore)
- Prepaid Xpresspost Envelope from Canada Post (required if you wish to obtain the result through mail)
How to Apply:
- Prepare requried itmes.
- The information on the application must be legible; please type or print
- Visit our office in person to apply.
- Present the required documents. (e.g. Application Form, Photo, Valid Passport)
- After your application is submitted, the result will be available within 2 weeks
- The individual requesting the background check may pick up the document in person at the consulate after being informed through phone call
- if you wish to obtain it through mail, you need to provide us the prepaid envelope (Only accept XpressPost envelope from Canada Post, Please purchase it before you visit our office)
IMPORTANT NOTICE (CRC with Lapsed Reecords)
US Immigration,Citizenship and Immigration Canada requires CRC reply with lapsed records. However, the Korean National Police Agency (KNPA) does not issue the CRC reply with lapsed records anymore since Nov 2017.
- KNPA stopped issuing Criminal Record Check Reply to foreign nationals.(Nov 2017)
- KNPA stopped issuing Criminal Record Check Reply to Korean.(April 2019).
- KNPA had issued CRC reply to the Korean Nationals. However, the reply shall be used for purpose of review only. A person who uses the reply for the other purposes (including submitting it to the foreign government) could be sentenced to imprisonment of up to two years or a fine of up to 20 million won in accordance with the clause 2 and 3 of Article 10 of “ACT ON THE LAPSE OF CRIMINAL SENTENCES”.
- KNPA can only issues “Background Check(Criminal Records) Certificate” which does not include the lapsed records. (You may print this page as a proof that explains the reason you cannot submit CRC with lapsed records)