1. General Information on Quarantine Exemption
□ Intended Applicants for Quarantine Exemption:
○ Urgent Humanitarian reasons: Individual
○ Important business/academic activities, activities related to public services: Business/Organization
□ Quarantine Exemption Certificate Expiry
○ Quarantine Exemption Certificates are valid for up to 1 week after issuance, during which period the exempted individual must enter Korea. After 1 week, the applicant must re-apply for the exemption.
□ Period of Quarantine Exemption
○ Quarantine Exemption Period will be limited to actual number of days necessary for the purpose. Urgent humanitarian reasons will be given 7 days or less, and up to 14 days for other purposes.
- If the exemption holder tests COVID-19 positive or have been in contact with a COVID-19 confirmed individual, the exemption will immediately cease to take effect and the individual must enter quarantine.
- The exemption holder must immediately depart Korea or enter into self-isolation or facility quarantine for the remaining period of stay in Korea, after the purpose of quarantine exemption has been achieved or the period of quarantine exemption passes*.
* Example) For quarantine exemption holders who arrive in Korea on September 1 and has the exemption certificate which expires on September 10, they must either depart Korea on September 11, or enter into self-isolation or facility quarantine from September 11 until September 15.
□ When to apply for the Quarantine Exemption Certificate
○ Quarantine Exemption Certificates are issued by the overseas diplomatic missions before the applicants’ arrival in Korea. (Certificates cannot be issued after arrival in Korea)
- Visitors who do not submit the Quarantine Exemption Certificate will be directed to self-isolation or facility quarantine.
□ Arrival process for Quarantine Exemption Certificate holders
○Quarantine Exemption Certificate holders will be led to COVID-19 testing upon arrival at the airport and be directed to wait for results, download Self-Diagnosis app for active monitoring(call the call center to report health status once per day).
※Visitors must download both the self-quarantine safety protection app and the self-diagnosis app.
2. Quarantine Exemption Certificates Issuing Procedure by Category
□ Urgent Humanitarian Reason(Limited to attending funerals)
○ Intended target: Korean and foreign nationals(No restrictions on type of visa)
○ Type of funerals: Applicant’s spouse, siblings of applicant or applicant’s spouse, immediate family members of applicant or applicant’s spouse (including step-parents, children-in-law)
○ Document submission (Applicant→ Overseas Diplomatic Mission)
- Passport, flight ticket(arrival and departure)
- Quarantine Exemption Certificate Application Form (Including Activity Plan)
※Applicant must complete and sign the Activity Plan along with the Application Form, and must follow through the contents of the activity plan.
- Quarantine Exemption Agreement
- Documents to prove the exemption purpose: Certificate of Family Relations, Death, Marriage, Lineage certificates, etc.
- Documents regarding place of residence during stay in Korea(Address, personal information on the resident of the address)
- Other documents as requested by the diplomatic mission
□ Important business/academic activities
○ Intended Target: Korean and foreign nationals*
*Holders of following 8 visa types: B-1, B-2, C-1, C-3, C-4, D-7, D-8, D-9
*Holders of following 12 visas: B-1, B-2, **C-1, C-3, C-4, D-4, D-8, D-9, F-4, F-5, F-6, E-7
○Procedure (Common to Important business/academic activities as well as activities related to public services)
①Businesses/Organizations must contact the ministry responsible for their business to request the Quarantine Exemption Certificate ->②The ministry responsible will review the request and communicate the results to the applicant ->③The ministry responsible will request the Quarantine Exemption Certificate to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs(Overseas Diplomatic Mission) ->④The individual who will enter Korea must apply for the Quarantine Exemption Certificate through the overseas diplomatic mission
* Finally, the overseas diplomatic mission will issue the Quarantine Exemption Certificate directly to the individual applicant expected to arrive in Korea with the Quarantine Exemption Certificate.
※ Ministry of Trade, Industry, and Energy ’Business Travel Support Center’ (☏1566-8110) will guide the process regarding Quarantine Exemption Certificate for Important business/academic activities.
○ Document Submission(Individual → Overseas Diplomatic Mission (when applying for the Quarantine Exemption Certificate)) - Passport(Including valid visa) - Quarantine Exemption Certificate Application(including Activity Plan) ※Information provided must correspond to details submitted to the Ministry responsible(Information cannot be different) - Quarantine Exemption Agreement - Documents regarding place of residence during stay in Korea(Confirmation of Hotel Reservation, etc), Confirmed flight ticket - Other documents as requested by the diplomatic mission
○ Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention24-hour call center: 1339
※Inquiry regarding self-quarantine
○ Ministry of the Interior and Safety(044-205-6512~6519)
○ Central DiseaseControl Headquarters(043-719-9336~7)
※Inquiry regarding Quarantine Exemption Certificate for Important business/academic activities
○ Ministry of Trade, Industry, and Energy: 1566-8110